Skip navigation |


Where to get help

Where to get help

There are specialist drug and alcohol advice and treatment services all over the UK, most of which are funded by local authorities or the NHS, and free to access. Some services will need you to be referred by your GP, for others you will be able to simply refer yourself. Most services will start with an initial assessment, where they will assess your drug use, and may recommend and provide treatments that can include various forms of counselling, treatment for associated physical health problems, medication-based treatments including substitute prescribing, and help with other related problems such as housing and employment and assessment of suitability for residential rehabilitation.

If you are looking for help with a drug or alcohol problem, you can either begin by seeing your GP, or you can search for a local treatment agency using the databases below, find their contact details, and get in touch to ask them how to start the treatment process.

Databases of drug treatment services

For details of alcohol services visit Alcohol Concern.

There are many other ways to get help and information in the UK. Talk to Frank on 0800 77 66 00 provides free advice, counselling and referral to specialist services 24 hours a day.